Sunday 15 May 2011

Ball, Bat & Wicket.




And now the month of May is upon us so the (English) cricket season has begun. Between now and October weekends will be filled (when time is available) travelling around Devon finding small villages where The Erratics will be playing. The Erratics are an Exeter based cricket team for whom both I and the wife have played for in the past. Tamsin's Dad, Bill, was also an Erratic for over 30 years. The Erratics are not a league team, just a band of strolling minstrels who'll give anyone a friendly when they've no match to play.
It's great fun and a great way to discover Devon. So far this month I have been to 3 matches and discovered the delights of the Tamar Ferry going over to Tor Point and a couple of games at Lower Netherton - home ground of Stoke-In-Teignhead and the lovely pub "The Wild Goose".

Both Tamsin and I come from "cricketing families". From birth to mid-teen I used to spend summer Sundays watching my Dad play for Lincoln based team Hartsholme. Mum doing the teas whilst me and a few "sons of cricketers" went exploring around Hartsholme Park and the surrounds. Cleethorpes was a great away match because we got to go to the beach and the zoo!
It was at the pavilion I discovered the delights of stout and a strange alcoholic drink called "Pony" - a bit like Babycham as I remember, so Tamsin and I are passing on our family traditions to Oscar and Isabel F.

Pictures:
1: Isabel Frances on the Tamar Ferry, Plymouth.
2: Oscar at Defiance Field, Tor Point.
3: Tamsin and Oscar in the nets at Lower Netherton.
4: The Erratics batting against Stoke-In-Teignhead. 14/05/11. (A38 and Dartmoor in the distance).

No comments:

Post a Comment